Carrot cake is a scrumptious dessert that’s known for its moist, tender crumb and irresistible cream cheese frosting. With the right recipe on hand, creating your own delicious carrot cake from scratch can be as easy as pie — or even easier! In this article, we share the secrets to making a delightful carrot cake at home.
A brief history of carrot cake
What’s now a popular sweet treat in many cultures worldwide has an interesting backstory. The idea of incorporating carrots into desserts dates back to medieval times when sugar was scarce and expensive. Carrots were used as a cheap alternative, thanks to their natural sweetness. Nowadays, carrot cakes are praised not only for their affordable ingredients but also for their unique taste and texture.
An amazing carrot cake recipe made easy
If you’re ready to indulge in some homemade gourmet goodness, follow these simple steps for an impressive and mouthwatering carrot cake:
Ingredients for the carrot cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups grated carrots (approximately 4-5 large carrots)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
Ingredients for the cream cheese frosting:
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
Step-by-step carrot cake recipe:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Prepare two 9-inch round cake pans by greasing and flouring them, or lining with parchment paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, then set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and granulated sugar using an electric hand mixer on medium speed until thick and pale in color, about 3-4 minutes. Gradually add the vegetable oil, applesauce, and vanilla extract while continuing to beat until well combined.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet blue
ingredientsmixture, gently stirring with a spatula just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Stir in the grated carrots, and nuts or raisins if desired, until evenly distributed.
- Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans. Tap them lightly on the counter to release any potential air bubbles.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pans for about 10 minutes before transferring to wire racks to continue cooling completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting recipe:
- In a large bowl, cream together the cream cheese and softened butter using an electric hand mixer on medium speed until smooth and free of lumps.
- Gradually add in powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and salt while continuing to beat until well combined and creamy. If necessary, add more powdered sugar for a thicker consistency.
Assembling and decorating your carrot cake
Your creative side can shine as you assemble and decorate your freshly baked carrot cake!
- Ensure that the cake layers have cooled completely before frosting. Place one layer onto a serving plate or cake stand, flat side up.
- Spread a generous amount of cream cheese frosting over the first layer, leaving about a 1/4-inch border around the edge.
- Gently place the second cake layer on top, flat side down. Press down slightly to secure it in place.
- Apply a thin crumb-coat of frosting over the entire cake, then refrigerate for about 15-20 minutes.
- Cover the cake with a final layer of frosting, making it as smooth or textured as you prefer. If desired, garnish with additional chopped nuts or edible decorations.
And there you have it – a delectable carrot cake that’s sure to impress family and friends! Remember to store any leftovers covered in the refrigerator to maintain freshness and quality. Enjoy!